Monday, August 22, 2011

Hometown Weekend

This weekend was chuck full of home town fun.  Friday night started the Old Timers softball tournament in MC.  It’s slow pitch softball and you have to be over 30 to play.  Seeing as it’s such a small area everyone pretty much everyone else on the different teams and I’m guessing that the majority of them are related somehow.  So the highlight of the tourney was the free roasted corn.  I love sweet corn and they had some of the best sweet corn that I’ve ever had.  Saturday was more softball and St Cloud actually ended up winning the whole tourney.  The payout was beer!  Lots and lots of beer.  After the games it was time to chill out and relax for the evening. 
Yesterday I went to the garden to pick whatever was on my purple bean plants.  I’m having a bumper crop of beans and they are amazing!  I ended up only picking half of the plot but ended up with just under 8 pounds of beans a whole sink full! I will pick the 2nd row tomorrow and get them cleaned up and in the freezer.  Next year I’m going to be applying for my farmers market vendors certificate.  I could be getting three to four dollars a pound for these beans and now that I know this garden is the perfect spot for this type of plant I will be filling it with beans for next year.  My tomato trellises were an epic fail so I’ve been working at trying to get the fruits to ripen before they split on the vine.  Next year I have a different plan for tomato trellises so we’ll see how they end up working otherwise I may have to go back to tomato cages and I just don’t want to do that. 
I have to start taking some pictures of the farm while we are in the middle of renovating the barn to make it so the momma’s can stay inside all winter and not freeze their knockers off.  There is so much work to be done and only a month and a half to 2 months to do it and I’m gone for most of September and October.  It’s going to be hard to get everything done in time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment